Monday, October 6, 2008

Calculus Is For Bitches, And Of Course I've Done My Homework

Like any creatively bankrupt writer today, I'm starting with a list. Which you will read due to the fact that I am incredibly winning and know more about music than you. Today's list will be an accidental review. I will queue up all the music in my library and write reviews of random songs. This will be interesting for me due to the shared computer status of our home drive and will include music I haven't heard (yeah right). Let's start the show!

Andrew Bird - Skin Is, My

Normally, indie rock multi-instrumentalists kind of piss me off. It's the equivalent of bringing action figures to a playground to show that yes, you are indeed that cool. However, this particular song shows a lot of constraint and a really, really good Thom Yorke impression. The Radiohead influence is pretty prevalent (cue hatemail). The guitar line is hella catchy, though. The breakdown sounds straight off of Pablo Honey. I'm sort of torn here. I think as a pop song, it's pretty rad, and shows a lot of originality. Especially with the neat plucky guitar and the heavy drum breaks. Overall, I'd say it's an ultimately well composed song with really good vocal and guitar hooks, but I don't know if I'd listen to it more than a few times.

Atom And His Package - Meatball

Atom writes music for people who think They Might Be Giants is too edgy. I like it better than TMBG, because I don't like nerds or their rock music. Actually, fuck this song. He has way better tunes.

Bad Religion - Leaders and Followers

So I have the soundtrack to Clerks. It has a cool Alice In Chains song. It also has this punk tripe. I mean, how can any Bad Religion fan not feel gypped? They haven't been writing the same songs for 30 million years or anything. Yeah, I get it, the people must rise and shit. Is that any reason to have a singer that spews messages while sounding like a pissed off Grover? No. Learn another drum line for fuck's sake.

No comments: