Wednesday, August 6, 2008

GI Joe Blows Load, Kills 8

Here’s The Thing, reenacted with GI Joes. I totally have a boner for John Carpenter’s The Thing. It is a gory, claustrophobic masterpiece set in Antarctica. And they find dead Norwegians right at the beginning. That’s always a plus.

This isn’t funny per se, but it’s stunning, and mind-bogglingly awe-inspiring fantastically radically boss. The dedication necessary to pull this off is something that I envy. I mean, seriously. One of these days, I’ll get my shit together, breakup with my rabbi, and pursue a project that rivals what you’re about to see.


With the GI Joe reference in yesterday’s post, that makes it two days in a row for GI Joe . I’m officially 8 years old, which means that grunting loudly while taking a dump at grandma’s house is the height of hilarity. Maybe it still is, but I don't take dumps anymore, so I wouldn't know.
Photobucket


Segue to...

There was a segment on an episode of This American Life that ran on Showtime a couple months ago that really fascinated me. The episode was called “Going Down In History” and it featured a photographer, Mark Hogancamp, who creates weird WWII scenes with GI Joes that are startling and gory. Oh, and did I mention that he started doing this after he was nearly beaten to death outside a bar? Well, it's true. And he’s doing these little scenes as an act of revenge. Dude was seriously traumatized. You can read more about him here and here.

Here's a couple of his photos
Photobucket

Photobucket


While searching for Mark Hogancamp, a site was mentioned called The Ultimate Soldier. There are tons of cool 1/6 scale model photo recreations of war on the site. Check it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket


And don't worry, my GI Joe load has been blown, so nothing more about plastic soldiers unless I get requests.

Photobucket

No comments: